To improve the overall quality of health in America it is vital to use the tools, strategies and interventions available to reduce health disparities. We need to ensure that anti-oppression is embedded in everything that we do by examining attitudes and actions through the lens of inclusiveness, access, equity, and social justice.
Understanding the dynamics of oppression is essential to identifying and addressing the barriers, obstacles and misunderstandings that hold back the development of strong, trusting, and effective partnerships essential to identifying and address health related disparities.
- Analyze the dynamics of oppression.
- Identify one’s own privileges and how they affect others and eliminate the denial of privilege.
- An understanding of the kinds of privilege granted and internalized privilege, and how it has the potential to dismantle oppression.
- Develop a shared understanding of the connections between oppression and policy development that impacts health disparities.
- Curriculum techniques used will include learning activities, story telling, hands-on activities, group circles, and more.
- A discussion on how power dynamics influences and impacts matters pertaining to race, gender, and social class background.
- An activity on the importance of how to incorporate anti-oppression concepts into your overall contract work.
Outcomes for participants:
- Learn the process of healing old hurts clarifying misinformation and removing the guilt, which keeps racism, sexism, homophobia, anti-Semitism and other forms of prejudice in place
- Understand common definitions for oppression
- Understand how social determinants of health impact health disparities
- Use the tools provided to plan for transformation at the individual and community levels through organizing and be empowered to be effective advocates that promote cultural awareness
This is a free training offered by invitation only. Registration is required. Meals/snacks will be provided.
For more information, please contact email@example.com.